Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hawaii

Gary and I were lucky enough to go to Hawaii this past week. Gary's parents took the whole family to Maui. When we landed at the airport, Vicki had arranged for some locals to dress in traditional clothing and give us each real flower leis. It was so cute!!! We stayed in the cutest condo right on the beach in a community called Puamana, in Lahaina. We were just around the corner from the best shopping. We played on the beach the 1st and 2nd days, got a little fried, so we took the next day to go shop and look around. We also went to a Luau at the Royal Lahaina and it was so awesome! Jana and I even went on stage and learned to hula. (we hid in the back of everyone else). For some reason, I was waking up at 6:00 every morning, which was fine with me. I went on walks and hung out on the beach for a few hours until everyone else woke up. The next day we went to the Crater/Volcano. We ate at this really cute restaurant on the mountain. The Crater was pretty cool, but I got so sick on the way up, and that's all I am going to say about that. Really early (for everyone else) the next morning went on a snorkel cruise on the Maui Pride and went to Molokini and Turtle Town were we got to swim with Sea Turtles. (I don't have those pics back yet but I will post them when I have them. They are really cool). On Tuesday, we went on the Road to Hana. It was so pretty! That was one of my favorite parts of the trip. There were so many cool places to stop on the way. It took us about 3 hours I think, to make it to Hana. Hana has a population of like 700 and is very spread out and kind of in the middle of nowhere. Doesn't really have grocery stores or restaurants or shopping. It kind of just seems like a few little huts in the middle of a jungle. But...........they had an LDS church off the highway! It was so funny to see. It was the most beautiful ward house I had ever seen. It sat on the side of the mountain overlooking the ocean. After the road to Hana, Gary and I had to hurry back to the condo to pack. We had to take a red eye flight back to Salt Lake so that we could work the next morning. Kind of crazy! We landed at like 7:45 a.m. and were at work by 9:00 a.m. Most exhausting and torturous day of my life! The rest of the fam stayed a few days longer and will be home tomorrow. We all had so much fun! Gary and I loved it so much that we are already looking into going again next year. (seriously, we came home and have already searched for the best flights and hotels) I have been bummed out ever since we have been home. Ha ha ha! I really do miss it! Gary and I have decided that we were both meant to live somewhere near the ocean. So, hopefully Gary will be excepted by a school were we can do just that. And then come back when he's done. :) Anyway, THANKS PETE AND VICKI and all of the G-nander/Strong clan for such an awesome experience. We had so much fun with all of you and love you very much. Enjoy the Pics!

After we got leied at the airport :)
Our Condo in Puamana
The street we took to get to the beach
Us


Brent, Me and Gary headed to the Beach




All of us shopping in Lahaina
My favorite street. (Best shopping and right on the beach)
Me and Jana
Gary and I at the Luau
All of us
Me, a cute hawaiian, and Jana
I took this picture and I am so proud of it, so I posted it

Pete needed a rash guard for snorkeling. I had bought a new one, so jokingly
I told Pete he could use my other one. (He didn't realize that it was a joke)
He was grateful and agreed to wear it before he saw it. Needless to say
he went and bought his own once he saw it. I made him put it on for kicks. :)
This was the Resturant on the side of the mountain that we
ate at after the Crater.
Fruit stand on the Road to Hana. They had the best Banana
Bread in the world.

Me Vicki and Jana at one of the Waterfalls on the Road
to Hana

Black Sand Beach

2 comments:

Josh and Anna said...

Gorgeous pictures!!

Travis and Kira Evans said...

Looks like you had a great time! I love that picture you took!